May 16, 2014

Living Out My Dreams

The word DREAM has always been my favorite word. I was taught at a very young age to always follow my heart and dreams. This is a principal that has been instilled in me since day one and I truly believe that I am fulfilling my dreams. As a young girl I always dreamed about traveling the world, falling in love with people and places, graduating from university, and starting a career. I have accomplished bits and pieces of these dreams so far.

My favorite childhood photo

I knew right from the start of high school that I wanted to move to New York and pursue a career in fashion. From my first sight of the New York Skyline I just knew that this was the next chapter of my life. I feel very lucky to have decided what path I wanted to take at such a young age. After applying to my dream school, I was accepted and was ready to take on this new amazing experience. Almost 7 years later I am still completely happy with my decision! Yay, way to go me! High Five!

Horrendous picture, but you get the point

When I graduated high school my sister and my mom took me to England for the first time. Ashley had spent a summer abroad there a few years before and she absolutely loved it. I didn't know much about England, but  I was excited for my first trip out of the country. My mind was so occupied with moving to New York City in a few months for school that I didn't really have any expectations of the trip. I never in a million years thought that I could fall more in love with a place than New York. Boy was I wrong. 


First trip to London in 2011
I spent my first two years of university pining and dreaming after a life in London. Yes, I was thankful for all of the experiences I was having in NYC, but i was definitely lusting over the beautiful country of England. I knew I had to get back over there as soon as possible, so I worked hard and applied for a summer program at school that took 16 people to London, Paris, and Florence! I mean come on, dream trip! It was on this week and half that I was in London for the second time that my lust turned into love. I spent every day daydreaming about the job and friends I could have over here. A life very different from what I was living now, but something I knew I would make happen no matter what.

Yes, I was crying in this picture.

It's almost been a year since I have been in London, but I have spent every day since listening to BBC Radio 1, watching The Only Way Is Essex, and keeping up with all of the gossip happening around England. Back in October I applied to another program at school that takes 24 people to London for 5 weeks to intern and attend school. So right now, at the age of 21 I am fulfilling my dream of working in London, England. Words can't express how happy and proud I am of myself for this accomplishment.

As I am beginning to pack I wanted to share with all of you that this upcoming Wednesday I am off to London for 5 weeks, then taking two weeks to travel around Europe with my mom, sister, and my best friend Allix who is also interning in London at the same company! How in the world did that happen!? Well it is fate that The Daily Mirror chose both of us!

Allix and I are both interning at the Fashion Desk at The Daily Mirror, one of the UK's best newspaper/tabloids.

Allix and I will also be keeping up with a blog during our time in Europe. Here is the link so you can follow along on the journey with us.

I'm so thankful for all of the opportunities I have had, and I can't wait to see where this summer leads me. When I graduate FIT in a year I hope to return to England. I just want to say a massive thank you to my parents for always supporting my dreams even though it takes me so far away! 



Chip Chip Cheerio! See you all in London!

XOXO
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment